Here is a beef stew that I put together for the crockpot. It's pretty simple, and has a ton of flavor. No salt necessary.
3 pounds stew meat 1/4 cup flour 1/2 tsp salt Olive oil 2 carrots 3 large potatoes 1 tbsp Parsley 1 tsp rosemary 1 tsp black pepper 1 package dry onion soup mix 2 cups beef broth 3 tbsp butter 1 1/2 onions chopped 1/2 cup red wine 1/4 cup beef broth 2 tbsp flour
1. Place the stew meat in a large freezer bag. Add the 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 tsp salt. Shake the bag and thoroughly cote all the chunks of meat.
2. Add some olive oil to hot pan and brown the flour coated meat. Ensure all sides are browned. The meat does not need to be cooked to the center, just browned on all sides.
3. Heat the 2 cups of beef broth and put into the crockpot. Add the package of onion soup, parsley, pepper, and rosemary. Whisk it together really good.
4. Cube the potatoes and carrots to nice sized chunks. It's really a preference on how large you want them.
5. Place meat, potato, and carrots into the crockpot.
6. Chop the onions and place into a clean pan with the butter. Caramelize the onions. Once done, drop into the crockpot. While the pan is hot pour the red wine into the pan. It will evaporate fast so, with a non scratch spoon scrub the bottom of the pan loosening all the stuck bits. be quick, and when the wine is about half, pour into the crockpot. Stir
7. Let the crockpot cook on high for about an hour then turn it down to low.
8. Mix together the 1/4 beef broth and the 2 tbsp of flour and pour into the crockpot. Stir the crockpot thoroughly and let cook on low for about 7 hours.